Grant Still is distinguished as the first minority composer of serious
music to write works that have been played and enjoyed by persons of
every race and nationality.
William Grant Still triumphed in his musical and historical achievements to become the first Afro-American...
* To write a major orchestral work which was performed by a major American orchestra.
* To conduct a major symphony orchestra in the United States.
* To direct a major symphony orchestra in the Deep South.
* To conduct a major American network radio orchestra.
* To have an opera produced by a major American company.
* And, to have an opera televised over a national network in the United States (after his death).